Typography - Final Compilation & Reflection
22 April 2025 - 22 July 2025 ( Week 1 - Week 14 )
Hsu Myat Wati | 0381660 | Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Typography | Taylor's University
INSTRUCTION
SUBMISSION
Task 1 | Type Expression ( Exercise 1 )
22 April 2025 - 22 May 2025 ( Week 1 - Week 5 )
Fig 1.2 - Final Type Expression (PDF) ( 6 May 2025 )
Task 1 | Text Formatting ( Exercise 2 )
![]() |
| Fig 1.4 - Name exercise (JPG) ( 22 May 2025 ) |
![]() |
| Fig 1.5 - Text Formatting Final with Grides (JPG) ( 22 May 2025 ) |
Fig 1.7 - Text Formatting Final with Grides (PDF) ( 22 May 2025 )
Fig 1.8 - Text Formatting Final without Grids (PDF) ( 22 May 2025 )
HEADLINE
Typeface: Bodoni Std
Font/s: Bodoni Std Bold
Type Size/s: 48 pt
Leading: 28 pt
Paragraph spacing: 0
SUB HEADLINE
Typeface: Gill Sans Std
Font/s: Gill Sans Std Bold
Type Size/s: 14 pt
Leading: 18 pt
Paragraph spacing: 0
BODY
Typeface: Adobe Caslon Pro Std
Font/s: Adobe Caslon Pro Regular
Type Size/s: 11 pt
Leading: 14 pt
Paragraph spacing: 14 pt
Characters per line: 50-63
Alignment: left
Margins: 20 mm top, 25 mm bottom, 15 mm left + right + bottom
Columns: 2
Gutter: 7 mm
Font/s: Gill Sans Std Bold
Type Size/s: 14 pt
Leading: 18 pt
Paragraph spacing: 0
BODY
Typeface: Adobe Caslon Pro Std
Font/s: Adobe Caslon Pro Regular
Type Size/s: 11 pt
Leading: 14 pt
Paragraph spacing: 14 pt
Characters per line: 50-63
Alignment: left
Margins: 20 mm top, 25 mm bottom, 15 mm left + right + bottom
Columns: 2
Gutter: 7 mm
Task 2 | Typographic Exploration and Communication
27 May 2025 - 3 Jun 2025 ( Week 6 - Week 7 )
![]() |
| Fig 2.1 - Final Type Formatting without Grids (JPG) ( 3 June 2025 ) |
![]() |
| Fig 2.2 - Final Type Formatting with Grids (JPG) ( 3 June 2025 ) |
Fig 2.3 - Final Type Formatting without Grids (PDF) ( 3 June 2025 )
Fig 2.4 - Final Type Formatting without Grids (PDF) ( 3 June 2025 )
HEADLINE 1 (BAHAUS)
Typeface: Gill Sans Std
Font/s: Gill Sans Std Light
Type Size/s: 150 pt
Leading: 180 pt
Paragraph spacing: 0
Typeface: Gill Sans Std
Font/s: Gill Sans Std Light
Type Size/s: 150 pt
Leading: 180 pt
Paragraph spacing: 0
HEADLINE 2 (MOVEMENT)
Typeface: Futura
Font/s: Futura Condensed ExtraBold
Type Size/s: 48 pt
BODY
Typeface: Gill Sans Std
Font/s: Gill Sans Std Regular
Type Size/s: 11 pt
Leading: 13 pt
Paragraph spacing: 13 pt
Characters per line: 50-65
Alignment: left justified
Margins: 10 mm top, 10 mm left + right + bottom
Columns: 2
Gutter: 5 mm
Task 3 | Type Design and Communication
10 June 2025 - 15 July 2025 ( Week 8 - Week 12 )
'OCTA' font - Download Link
Fig 3.2 - Final Construction (PDF), Week 12 ( 8 July 2025 )
Measurements (from baseline)
Capital height: 700 pt
Median: 500 pt
Reflections
Experience
This 14-week Typography module was the most challenging yet interesting journey. Every week, we have to brainstorm ideas, do sketches, learn new software, receive feedback, and make adjustments till we get good results. All the steps were not easy for me as a beginner. However, every phase was equally valuable to me as I learned through my mistakes, reflected through feedback, and improved one step after every task.
Although I was unfamiliar with the foundation and system of Typography at first, I improved my knowledge and skills through research and discussion with my classmates. It was so rewarding to have talented classmates who shared their own strengths and weaknesses with each other. We all helped one another and faced every challenge together.
Observations
Before this module, I had never imagined how deep it is to explore Typography. I realized that there are endless things to study when it comes to the history of fonts, typeface, text formatting, font design, etc, and every little detail related to Typography. I also see the crucial part that Typography plays in almost every design that we see in everyday life.
Throughout the 14 weeks, I started to notice the Typography in everyday design, such as billboards, posters, and signboards, that I came across in my daily life. I get to reflect on what I've learned every week and note down any new knowledge I get.
Findings
Task 1 was the most challenging for me. I had to go back and forth between the sketching and animation phases. Although I was satisfied with some sketches in the design phase, it was not as easy as I thought to transform them into animation. Some even end up looking totally different from what I've imagined.
I noticed that it is because I didn't think much about the final outcome before I sketched everything. I had to motivate myself to start over with a good and systematic plan from the very beginning for some sketches, keeping in mind the final vision.
After all these things, I find out that the process is as important as the final outcomes. I should not rush to get it then, and rather pay attention to the important detail and have a good plan before I start designing.



.jpg)


.jpg)


Comments
Post a Comment