Typography - Task 2: Typographic Exploration and Communication

27 May 2025 - 3 Jun 2025 ( Week 6  - Week 7 )

Hsu Myat Wati | 0381660 | Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Typography | Taylor's University

Table of contents


1. LECTURES

Week 5

Counterform

The space that is described and often contained by the strokes of the form. When letters are joined to form words, the counterform includes the spaces between them.

Fig 1.1 - Counterform (https://pin.it/4vvuujmns)

Counterform plays a crucial role in recognizing the form of either the word or the letterform itself.

Contrast

The most powerful principle applies directly to typography.
The simple contrast produces numerous variations: small+organic/ large+machined/...

Fig 1.2 - Contrast (https://pin.it/2rckNdn7Q)


2. INSTRUCTIONS

MIB:



3. TASK 2


Fig 3.1 - Designing progress (AI) ( 2 June 2025 )

We started designing the title in Adobe Illustrator during week 6. I tried to move each text and word around. My lecturer prefers the first and the last two designs. I updated them after my week 6 feedback since I have a few formatting errors. 


Fig 3.2 - Designing progress1 (Id) ( 2 June 2025 )


Fig 3.3 - Designing progress2 (Id) ( 2 June 2025 )


Fig 3.4 - Designing progress3 (Id) ( 2 June 2025 )


Fig 3.5 - Designing progress5 (Id) ( 2 June 2025 )

During Week 7, we started to move our designs from Adobe Illustrator to InDesign and add the text. I tried my best to balance the layout while still following the text formatting rules. The above are the four design layouts I came up with.

My Choice

Fig 3.6 - Final Type Formatting without Grids (JPG) ( 3 June 2025 )

I chose the first one because this design is minimal yet unique, and most importantly, it follows the rules perfectly. 

Fig 3.7 - Final Type Formatting with Grids (JPG) ( 3 June 2025 )

HEADLINE 1 (BAHAUS)
Typeface: Gill Sans Std
Font/s: Gill Sans Std Light
Type Size/s: 150 pt
Leading: 180 pt
Paragraph spacing: 0

HEADLINE 2 (MOVEMENT)
Typeface: Futura
Font/s: Futura Condensed ExtraBold
Type Size/s: 48 pt

BODY
Typeface: Gill Sans Std
Font/s: Gill Sans Std Regular
Type Size/s: 11 pt
Leading: 13 pt
Paragraph spacing: 13 pt
Characters per line: 50-65
Alignment: left justified
Margins: 10 mm top, 10 mm left + right + bottom
Columns: 2
Gutter: 5 mm


Fig 3.8 - Final Type Formatting without Grids (PDF) ( 3 June 2025 )


Fig 3.9 - Final Type Formatting without Grids (PDF) ( 3 June 2025 )


4. Feedbacks

Week 7: General Feedback: Every English text should be read right to left.
Specific Feedback: The titles are already good. The placement of the title needs to be fixed. The characters of the word 'Design' are misplaced.

Week 6: General Feedback: Task 2 should be something more interesting than changing the font size and moving things around. For example, can try to make something different, like adding suitable effects with Photoshop.
Specific feedback: Three of my sketches look different and seem to work well. 


5. Reflections

During this task, I learned a lot about formatting text based on the reference samples. At first, I thought it would be easy, but when I started working, I realized how detailed the process actually is. Every small thing, like the font size, alignment, spacing, and margins, made a big difference in the final look.


I learned how important it is to pay attention to details to make the text look clean and organized. Even small mistakes in spacing or alignment can make the whole design look messy. This task also taught me how to follow the hierarchy in text formatting and make sure each section is clear and easy to read.


The feedback from my lecturer was very helpful. She pointed out where I needed to adjust the layout and guided me to improve my work. Thanks to that, I became more careful and started to check my work more closely. Overall, this task helped me understand how much work goes into professional text formatting. 



6. Further Readings

Samara, T. (2005). Making and breaking the grid: A graphic design layout workshop (2nd ed.). Rockport Publishers. Retrieved from Internet Archive: https://archive.org/details/makingbreakinggr0000sama_p7f8 books.google.com+11archive.org+11openlibrary.org+11

Tondreau, B. (2009). Layout essentials: 100 design principles for using grids. Rockport Publishers. (Revised ed., 2019). Retrieved from Quarto: https://quarto.com/books/9781631596315/layout-essentials-revised-and-updated amazon.com+15quarto.com+15perlego.com+15

Adobe Inc. (2023). InDesign User Guide. Retrieved July 2025, from https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/user-guide.html adobe.com+5helpx.adobe.com+5helpx.adobe.com+5


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Advanced Typography - Final Compilation & Reflection

Advanced Typography - Task 3: Type Exploration and Application

Advanced Typography - Task 2: Key Artwork & Collateral