Design Research Dessertation (DIS60304)
20 April 2026 - 26 July 2026 ( Week 1 - Week 14 )
Module Information Booklet
Task1: Dissertation Draft
Task2: Final Dissertation Turnitin Report
Task4: Research Article
Weekly Feedback by Lecturer
Final Reflection
Completing this Design Research Dissertation module has been one of the most challenging yet rewarding experiences throughout my degree. At the beginning of this module, I only had a general understanding of academic research and writing. However, through every stage of the dissertation process, I gradually learned how to identify a research problem, review different literature, collect and analyze data, and present my findings in a structured and academic manner. This module also improved my critical thinking skills because I learned to evaluate different perspectives instead of accepting information without questioning it. I realized that research is not only about finding answers, but also about asking meaningful questions and supporting every point with reliable evidence.
The part that I enjoyed the most was exploring different journal articles and discovering how researchers approached similar topics from different perspectives. Reading various studies helped me understand the importance of emotional storytelling in films and allowed me to develop my own understanding of the subject. I also enjoyed receiving feedback from my supervisor because every discussion helped me improve my dissertation and notice weaknesses that I had overlooked. Seeing my research develop from a simple idea into a complete dissertation was very satisfying and gave me a great sense of achievement.
The most challenging part of this module was managing the workload within a limited timeframe. Reviewing large numbers of academic sources, organizing information, and maintaining consistent academic writing required a great deal of patience and discipline. There were also times when I struggled with balancing my dissertation alongside other assignments. Although the process was stressful at times, I learned that every revision helped strengthen my research and improved the overall quality of my work.
Through this module, I also learned more about myself. I realized that I enjoy exploring topics in depth and understanding the reasons behind people's emotions and experiences. At the same time, I discovered that I need to be more confident in trusting my own ideas instead of constantly doubting my work. I learned that good research takes time, and improvement comes through continuous revisions, feedback, and reflection rather than trying to make everything perfect on the first attempt.
Looking back, I can see that my research, writing, and critical thinking skills have improved significantly compared to when I first started this module. I have become more confident in reading academic literature, analyzing research findings, and presenting ideas clearly and logically. Although I still need to improve my time management and academic writing skills, I believe this experience has prepared me well for future research and professional work.
Overall, this module has given me valuable knowledge and experience that will continue to benefit me in the future. I hope to apply the research skills, critical thinking, and problem-solving abilities that I have developed throughout this dissertation to my future design projects. More importantly, I want to continue learning from every experience, accept constructive feedback positively, and keep improving both as a designer and as a researcher.
Comments
Post a Comment