Project 1 - Progression 2

6 May 2026 - 7 Jun 2026 ( Week 3  - Week 7 )

Hsu Myat Wati | 0381660 | Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Film Studies and Cinematography | Taylor's University

Week 3

Apply the story spine in your story based on the structure:

ACT 1
1. Once upon a time…

2. Every day…

3. Until one day…


ACT 2

4. Because of that…

5. Because of that…

6. Because of that…


ACT 3

7. Until finally…

8. And ever since then…

The moral of the story is…

The story

A few weeks ago, I was alone in my room watching a Netflix series. I didn't realize I was alone until my roommates texted me that they are gonna be back late that night. Meanwhile, I was hearing the sounds that my roommates would usually make when they are home. Suddenly, I panic, thinking someone has broken into the unit. 

First, I call my parents to calm myself down. The sound kept on going nonstop as my anxiety rose. My dad told me to contact the dorm security or the owner immediately, while my mom told me not to go out of my room yet. I couldn't call the security because I haven't saved any contacts yet. I tried calling my roommates and other friends who stay in the same dorm. But nothing seemed to work out well at that moment since all of them were busy with their own things. Then, I burst into tears as I felt helpless and frightened, which made my mom start crying too. 

After a while, I got in touch with my roommates again, saying that they were coming back for me, which made me feel better, and I started to think of possible actions that I could take before they reached me. At that moment, I heard a doorbell ring. I gathered up all my courage to open my room door, grab an umbrella, go down the stairs, and turn on the lights. I saw no one there, but the sound kept on going. Then, I approached the unit door, opened it anxiously, and I saw a staff member standing there, talking to me in Malay. We failed to communicate as he cannot speak English, so he left. 

Meanwhile, my parents got disconnected from me because I left my laptop, which I was using to call them, upstairs, in my room. Having no choice, I tried searching the whole unit to see if there was someone inside. Everything seemed normal inside the unit, but my mind went blank and cannot catch the direction of the sound anymore. So, I ran out of the unit barefoot with only my phone in my hand. Then, I got connected with my parents again while waiting for my roommates to come back. 

Finally, my roommates arrived, and they tried their best to make me feel safe. I told my parents not to worry anymore and explained the whole situation to my roommates. We spent the whole night discussing our different opinions on this, since the sound kept going on that we couldn't even sleep. However, I felt so much relieved after making sure there was no evidence of a man breaking in. 

Then, we concluded that it might be a ghost, which is funny, as I am the skeptical one. The next day, we found out that the new residents had just moved in one floor above us, and they had been moving in their things the whole night.   

The protagonist

Name: Hana

Personality traits:
reserved, caring, empathetic

Internal features:
sensitive, yet strong on a deeper level

External features:
- Physical appearance
round dark brown eyes, long straight brown-colored hair, round face, 160cm height, skinny
- Action
usually gentle, freeze body, and shaking hands when anxious

Internal obstacles:
fear, insecurity, and low self-esteem

External obstacles: being a long distance from the parents, not all the friends are around, cannot contact them, and have no security contact

Wants:
Hoping for someone to come and help solve the mystery.

Needs:
Take action, go out, and see what is actually happening.

Change:
Learn how to be more prepared in this kind of situation. Become more cautious of the surroundings and think of practical causes and solutions. 

Week 4

Write a 1-minute short film:
  • Theme: The Last Chance


  • Rules:

  • • Maximum 2 characters

  • • One location

  • • One conflict

  • • Clear ending


  • Time: 30 minutes

The Last Chance

Beat Sheet
Title: "The Last Chance"
Beginning: The world is ending tomorrow. The girl has one last chance to open up emotionally to her mother, whom she has felt isolated from for years.

Middle: She confessed that all she needed was the recognition and moral support from her mother, and found out that her mother wanted nothing more than her well-being.

Twist: The world isn't ending; a new day comes with bright sunshine and a refreshing breeze of fresh air.

End: Both the daughter and the mother realize that it wasn't the last chance to live, but a last chance to resolve and start new beginnings.

Beat Sheet

Beat Sheet (Detailed Plot)

Title: "The Last Chance"

Setting: Twilight settled over the evening of December 31st, 1999. Inside a dim living room, an old television flickered in front of a worn couch.

Story Idea:
  • A girl in her mid-twenties and a woman in her sixties sit in silence on the couch. 
  • The sound of the evening news (discussing the potential apocalypse, which will be the end of the world) from the old television breaks the silence in the room. 
  • They looked at each other once they heard the news, but suddenly looked away hesitantly.
  • The girl started to open up to her mother on her second attempt, confessing things that she had never told her before. 
  • Then, they had a deep conversation until almost midnight, resolving all the misunderstandings. 
  • Both of them burst into tears as they regained their relationship.

Week 5

Final updated story

One night during March, I was alone in my room watching a Netflix series. I didn't realize I was alone until my roommates texted me that they are gonna be back late that night. Meanwhile, I was hearing the sounds that my roommates would usually make when they are home. Suddenly, I panic, thinking someone has broken into the unit. I was even more scared because our unit is quite isolated from the other units. The sound kept on going nonstop as my anxiety rose.


I couldn't call the security because I haven't saved any contacts yet. So, I tried calling my roommates to calm myself down. Jinx and Aura, who are at the mall, said that they were coming back for me, which made me feel better. We decided to have a group video call while I am waiting for them. I explained the whole situation to them and asked for their advice. Diva, who is in another country, also joins the call. Then, we started to think of possible actions that I could take before Jinx and Aura reached me. Diva recommended me to try calling the group admin in the unit WhatsApp group chat. So, I called all the admins, and one of them picked up on my second try. She said she’ll send someone and hung up the call. 


While waiting, Aura is trying to check on me to see if I am really okay and telling me that they are coming as quickly as possible. Meanwhile, Jinx and Diva are debating over whether I should play loud music or stay completely silent. Diva told me to play loud music because she’s in denial of the current situation, which can potentially be a ghost. Jinx told me to stay silent, worrying that it was an actual human breaking in.


At that moment, I heard a doorbell ring. I gathered up all my courage to open my room door, one hand holding my phone and the other grabbing an umbrella. I went down the stairs and turned on the lights. I saw no one there, but the sound kept on going. Then, I approached the unit door, opened it anxiously, and I saw a staff member standing there carrying a bunch of keys, talking to me in Malay. We failed to communicate as he cannot speak English, so he left looking confused. 


Having no choice, I tried searching the whole unit to see if there was someone inside. Everything seemed normal inside the unit, but my mind went blank and cannot catch the direction of the sound anymore. So, I ran out of the unit barefoot with my phone and an umbrella in my hand. 


Finally, Jinx and Aura have arrived, and they tried their best to make me feel safe. Then, we spent the whole night discussing our different opinions on this. I am skeptical, one who thinks humans are the scariest, and still alert that someone can actually be inside our unit. Jinx has thousands of scenarios, both human and ghost. Aura is so sure it was a ghost, and she is also scared. Diva also thinks it’s a ghost but is in denial of any scenarios and just laughs awkwardly on the call. 


However, the mysterious sound kept going on, so we couldn't even sleep. The sound got even louder as the night went on, and it was coming from every direction. So, three of us were screaming and running around the house whenever we heard a sound. First, we hear from my room upstairs. We went up and checked, but no one was there. Then, the sound was coming from the kitchen, so we went back down, next the washroom, then the stairs, and so on. Then, we were exhausted, so we gave up on the sound haunting and just helplessly sat on the couch the whole night. Diva was also still on her call with us, but she fell asleep during the call. The clock is ticking slowly, and eventually morning comes. All of us, still sitting on the living room couch, look like a panda with dark eyes from lack of sleep. 


After a while, we hear the sound of people talking and laughing outside the balcony. So, Jinx, Aura, and I went out to the balcony and heard three guys talking about last night, and we finally found out the truth. Then, the three guys look down, and we look up to each other’s balcony and make awkward eye contact with disappointment in our faces and guilty laughter from them.  

Week 6

Project 1 documentation


(UPDATED) Project 1 documentation

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Advanced Typography - Final Compilation & Reflection

Advanced Typography - Task 3: Type Exploration and Application

Advanced Typography - Task 2: Key Artwork & Collateral