Task 02 Composition

18 May 2025 - 8 June 2025 ( Week 4 - Week 7 )

Hsu Myat Wati | 0381660 | Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Illustration and visual narrative | Taylor's University

Table of contents


1. DOCUMENTATION




2. FINAL OUTPUT





3. TECHNIQUES APPLIED 

I asked for some examples of fantasy fairy tale world sketches for my background, and ChatGPT came up with six different options. I decided to come up with my own composition using a few elements here and there. 

Creating separate elements

I started with sketching each visual element that I will be using in the background. I began with a pencil sketch so that it would be easier when I transform it to line art in Illustrator. Then, I used the same tools that I used in Task 1 character design, for line art, color, and shadow. 

Creating composition

I used the golden ratio as a guideline for my character's final background composition. I tried to play around with the background color and the positions of the cloud, flowers, and the sparkles to get a nice childhood fairy tale story environment. 

Creating Card Design

Although I planned to use the same background as my first composition for my card design, I ended up creating something simple using a few elements. I changed it because I think the first background is I bit overwhelming and hard to put the main character in the spotlight. I also use some elements from the background as decoration for my card design. 


4. SELF REFLECTION

I had a lot of fun completing this task. Our lecturer's tutorial was easy to follow along and the steps were clear and simple. The exercises we did in our face-to-face tutorial classes helped improve our skills when we applied them in this task. Now, I understand the basics of creating composition in Adobe Illustrator. This task also helps me improve my knowledge of the composition guidelines, such as the golden ratio, the rules of thirds, etc. I learned that these rules make the whole process easier and more systematic. 

Every week, we did a consultation with our lecturer and fixed the area where we can improve to come up with the best we can do. He gives detailed feedback, which is very helpful for us to know exactly which phase we should go back and redo. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Advanced Typography - Final Compilation & Reflection

Advanced Typography - Task 3: Type Exploration and Application

Advanced Typography - Task 2: Key Artwork & Collateral